The primary aim of the CMSD is to identify and explore, in close collaboration with academic and industrial colleagues, areas of molecular science in which STFC facilities can be on a critical path to discovery and innovation.
The CMSD can:
• Act as a coordinated focus for STFC effort in performing and supporting research in the molecular sciences in partnership with our external colleagues.
• Be pro-active in seeking out and attracting leading research and leading researchers in the molecular sciences to the STFC for short and long-term visits.
• Strongly encourage scientific input from STFC staff and provide a supportive environment for this input – help establish a vibrant scientific culture.
• Promote cross-facility collaborations by both STFC staff and external partners, where synergy is beneficial to science-driven projects.
• Benefit the general user community of all the associated facilities, by enhancing the development of these facilities in the context of their application in leading-edge scientific areas.
• Promote the use of STFC facilities via meetings, workshops, and seminars to reach the broad base of UK researchers and also attract the leaders in the field.
• Act as a natural focal point for community collaboration in seeking funding for facility-centered projects in the molecular sciences.
• In close collaboration with other STFC Research Networks, promote the physical sciences effort across the STFC, developing synergy across the facilities including Diamond and the Research Complex at Harwell.