ISIS is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford in the United Kingdom. Our suite of neutron and muon instruments gives unique insights into the properties of materials on the atomic scale. We support a national and international community of more than 3000 scientists for research into subjects ranging from clean energy and the environment, pharmaceuticals and health care, through to nanotechnology and materials engineering, catalysis and polymers, and on to fundamental studies of materials.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
• Undertaking deuteration reactions, chromatographic purification of deuterated molecules and their characterisation using NMR Spectroscopy and other analytical techniques.
• Assist in methodology development for new synthetic routes to deuterated materials.
• Assist in the maintenance and operation of laboratory instruments such as LC/MS and flash chromatography systems.
• Work in a safe, tidy and responsible manner, abiding by STFC SHE Codes e.g. COSHH, Lone Working.
• Report on progress of synthetic projects and work closely with other Deuteration Facility staff in project planning.
• Obtain required analytical data on final products for stock samples and more specialist materials.
• Maintain a high standard of documentation in lab notebook and procedure reports.
• Contribute to journal and conference publications that arise from work carried out in the Deuteration facility
Contacts and Communication
You will be working directly with the ISIS Support Laboratories Group and the Large Scale Structures Group, as well as the Deuteration Facility Access Panel and ISIS Users. The post will also involve working with our international partners of the SINE2020 Deuteration Work Package.
Personal Skills and Attributes
You will show initiative and work with the minimum of supervision. They will display a high level of problem solving ability and safety awareness. Additionally, they will need skills in work prioritisation, teamwork, communication and good attention to detail and accuracy.
Any other Relevant Information
You will be working within a controlled radiation area.