STFC’s award winning graduate scheme offers structured training, a real job with real responsibilities from day 1 and a direct route to professional accreditation. It will allow you to use your degree in a dynamic, creative and collaborative culture.
ISIS, the world leading pulsed neutron and muon source, needs Professional Engineers to maintain and enhance its facility. Graduate Mechanical Design and Project Engineers will have a key role and the position provides a unique opportunity for a wide variety of design, analysis and project engineering experiences across exotic materials, cutting edge joining techniques, high precision moving equipment and powerful magnets.
The ISIS Design Division provides professional engineering support across the complete ISIS Neutron Science facility from the accelerator, targets, neutron beam-lines and specialist user equipment. The diverse nature of the facility is mirrored in its variety of mechanical systems: state-of-the-art precision mechanisms and motion systems, high power magnets, cryogenic and vacuum systems, very high pressure and extreme temperature sample environment systems. All of these can encompass novel uses of both established and emerging engineering materials and manufacturing techniques.
We are looking for aspiring engineers who are inquisitive and want to solve complex and interesting engineering problems.
Based at The Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire, Graduate Mechanical Design and Project Engineers have a key role and the positions provide a unique opportunity for a wide variety of engineering experiences coupled with excellent training and personal development leading to becoming a Chartered Engineer. Career paths for our Graduates tend to split into two categories depending on the individual. These are analytical biased or design and project management biased. Whichever path you are more suited to, you will make extensive use of modern engineering tools including CAD and various FEA packages.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
• Produce designs and concepts through the use of 2D & 3D CAD systems.
• Procure manufactured items and bought out components.
• Work with and understand the requirements of projects set by the customer.
• Manage project workload to ensure targets are met.
• Produce calculations to validate designs.
• Present work both in writing and verbally to a wide range of audiences.
Contacts and Communication
• Will work with a wide range of fellow engineers across disciplines on ISIS equipment – mechanical, electrical, electronic, motion control, etc.
• Will work with a variety of scientists.
• Liaison with technicians.
• Other staff throughout STFC.
Personal Skills and Attributes
• Must be highly motivated, innovative and inquisitive.
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to read and understand technical information.
• Capable of rapid development of technical and non-technical skills.
• Ability to communicate well both technically and non-technically.
• Ability to produce good written work and reports.
• Shows an interest in the world outside of engineering.
• Shows an appreciation of engineering in the wider context of society