The ISIS Neutron & Muon Source utilises a large number of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and LabVIEW-based systems as part of its interlock and control systems as well as neutron beam chopper drive control systems used to synchronise spinning discs throughout the facility. The SCADA section within the Electrical Engineering Group is responsible for the design, operation and fault finding of these systems. The group is currently looking for an Engineer or Technician with the necessary skill set to be responsible for the design, testing, installation and fault finding of these systems.
Duties will include
• design from specification of PLC, PXI systems and Beam Line Chopper Drive systems
• manufacture control system hardware, such as PLC panel and junction box wiring, PCB assembly and cable termination
• programming PLCs, HMIs & motor control systems. Any experience with Omron, Schneider Electric or Bosch Rexroth hardware would be beneficial, although full training will be provided as necessary
• some programming and support of LabVIEW-based systems
• installation, commissioning and testing of new control systems
• produce engineering drawings and technical documentation, using AutoCAD and other office software packages
• assist with fault-finding, repair and maintenance of systems supported by the Section, ensuring that the register of spares is kept up to date
• contribute to health and safety documentation relevant to the Section’s equipment and work commitments
• supporting contractors in their daily activities
• small order procurement and liaison with suppliers.
Contacts and Communication
• Internally you will communicate with colleagues within the Electrical Engineering Group, other engineers and technicians working within ISIS, beamline scientists and the ISIS operational crew.
• Externally you will be required to liaise with external manufacturers and component suppliers.
Personal Skills and Attributes
• ability to work both independently and in a team
• good time-management and multi-tasking skills
• able to adapt to changing requirements
• has a methodical approach to solving complex problems
• takes care and pride in their work. Works to a high standard
• thorough and pays attention to detail
• effective written and oral communication skills.