At STFC we deliver world class research, innovation and skills for the UK. We combine world-class facilities including the Central Laser Facility, the Hartree Centre, ISIS and RAL Space, with major international collaborations with organisations such as CERN, and some of the world’s most talented staff.
The Central Laser Facility (CLF) is a world-class centre for research in physical and life sciences, specialising in designing, building and operating large scale scientific lasers. We are about to start building a new, world-leading scientific laser system and we are looking for 2 Senior Mechanical Technicians (1 x permanent and 1 x fixed term 2 years) to join our team of talented technicians.
You will collaborate with other senior technicians to carry‑out complex assembly and testing of a cryogenic pressure system and precision machines.
Main duties include
• commissioning, development, and maintenance of 10-8mbar vacuum systems
• construction, testing and commissioning of gas systems up to 200bar
• construction, testing and commissioning of liquid nitrogen cryogenic systems
• construction, testing and commissioning of complex motorised and manual optics systems
• researching, specifying, sourcing, manufacturing and constructing parts & systems as required.
Contacts and Communication
You will be expected to work in close collaboration with the existing engineering and scientific staff.
Personal Skills and Attributes
The role requires a solid practical mechanical engineering background. Training will be given on vacuum, gas and cryogenics if required. You will be self‑motivated, a clear communicator and able to embrace change as the R&D requirements evolve. You should work well in a team but be able to operate independently. A minimum of a HND in mechanical engineering would be expected but relevant equivalent experience would be considered.
Any other Relevant Information
You will have to wear personal protection equipment when carrying out a wide range of engineering tasks.