The Crystallography Group at ISIS operates a suite of 9 neutron diffraction and imaging beamlines, performing world class powder and single crystal diffraction studies covering a broad range of academic and industrial research. The success of this programme is crucially dependent on the team of highly skilled and dedicated staff within the group, who provide a high level of expertise to support visiting teams both from the UK and internationally, and across a diverse range of research topics in fields including physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering and earth/planetary science.
In addition, the ISIS Crystallography Group has an active programme to develop the facilities offered to the research community. These include the design of new diffractometers and upgrades to existing instruments, coupled with the complementary development of novel sample environment devices and advanced data analysis software. Finally, members of the ISIS Crystallography Group are strongly encouraged to pursue their own scientific research programme within neutron diffraction and/or imaging, usually in collaboration with university and/or industrial partners.
We are looking for a highly motivated and independent senior scientist to join the ISIS Crystallography Group to support the user programme across the suite of powder diffraction instruments, lead development projects in instrumentation, sample environment and software and to perform their own high profile research programme in the field of crystallography using neutron powder diffraction.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities:
• Provide local contact support for users of the powder diffraction instruments operated by the ISIS Crystallography Group.
• Contribute to the development of new powder diffraction capabilities, including new diffractometers, upgrades to existing instruments, novel sample environment facilities and data analysis methods.
• Actively seek funding for instrument and other equipment upgrades.
• Represent and actively work on increasing the user base in powder diffraction at ISIS.
• Provide supervision for junior members of the ISIS Crystallography Group, joint PhD students, etc.
• Conduct and disseminate world-class research via publications and conference presentations.
• Conduct tours for visiting scientists and visiting members of the public.
Contacts and Communication
You will interact extensively with visitors, both from higher education institutions and from industry. You will be expected to present their scientific work and represent the group at international conferences and meetings.
Personal Skills and Attributes
• Excellent written and oral English language skills, including good presentation skills.
• Must be capable of working independently and in small teams.
Any other Relevant Information
• Willing to work in radiation areas (classified radiation status).
• Willing to work out-of-hours occasionally, at night or weekends.
• Willing to work in confined spaces (2x2 m2 floor area).
• Willing to travel abroad (for discussions with collaborators, attendance at conferences etc.).