Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At STFC’s ISIS facility, a leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
About The Role
We now have an opportunity for an Electrical Design Group Leader to lead the ISIS Design Division Electrical Engineering team of 12 staff, and provide successful, safe engineering design solutions for the ISIS accelerator and its associated experimental beamlines.
You will be responsible for providing top level engineering expertise to solve problems, design upgrades and new equipment over its full life-cycle, from concept through detail design drawing to manufacture, procurement, assembly and installation.
Further duties will include:
• Direct Project Management of assigned projects and work packages.
• Monitor current project progress relative to agreed plans, timescales and budgets.
• Management of Electrical Design data for ISIS (Meridian document control).
• Ensure production of relevant safety documentation, for example Radiation Risk Assessments for installation activities.
• Produce budget estimates for future work packages.
• Input into work planning schedules.
• Pastoral care together with training and development needs for appointed staff.
• To perform the role of a professional Electrical Engineer, ensuring professional standards are maintained.
• Management of any requests for work, organisation of priorities and communication of activities.
• Assist with the management and administration of the wider groups in the Design Division.
A wide variety of electrical engineering is used across the ISIS facility, including high stability ac/dc power converters, pulsed power supplies, high voltage equipment installations, PLC based alarm and control systems, multi-axis motion control and 3 phase LV distribution networks.
Contacts and Communication
Key contacts will be:
• Design Division group leaders
• Operational group leaders
• Science group leaders and instrument scientists
• Other facilities group leaders in similar roles
Personal Skills and Attributes
The role crosses almost all areas of ISIS, providing electrical support and engineering design for the accelerator, target and beamlines. It interfaces with the site electrical team, and importantly with the activities of operational staff. As such, there is a wide variety of skills and attributes which is required in addition to the skills and attributes expected of a group leader.
• Personal responsibility in technical area
• Integrity of design(ensuring best design solution is found)
• Objectivity in allocating resources
• Budgeting and planning
• Good communication skills both verbally and written.
• Focus on high quality solutions within the bounds of time and cost
• Ability to influence others
• Ability to listen to the requirements and influence where necessary.
• Clear documentation and a structured approach to capturing the requirements.
• Ability to lead a group of engineers and deliver above the expectations of others.
• Team player with a desire to deliver results.
For more information and to apply, click here.