Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) ISIS facility, a leading particle accelerator used to carry out research in the physical and life sciences, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
There are currently several opportunities for Mechanical Project Engineers to join the ISIS Design Division on a full time or part time basis, working closely with fellow engineers and scientists; specifying, designing, procuring and developing bespoke mechanical and electrical equipment and complex systems for the facility.
Working within one of the groups of engineers that make up the ISIS Design Division, you will be responsible for delivering engineering solutions for scientific requirements within a project environment.
Duties will include:
• full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one off components and larger, complex systems
• coordinating the activities of various different technical disciplines to achieve the required end goal
• project management (including scheduling, budgets, planning and reporting)
• production of mechanical designs and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others
• presentation of designs for peer and stakeholder review
• managing both internal staff and external contract design and detailing effort
• managing tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs
• ensuring all engineering design and installation work is carried out safely and in accordance with STFC codes of practice.
Contacts and Communication
You must have excellent communication skills and will deal directly with the following stakeholders:
• fellow Design Division Engineers (Mechanical & Electrical)
• Accelerator Physicists and Neutron Scientists
• operations and installation staff
• procurement and contracts staff
• other specialist groups such as Safety, Civil Engineering, Building Services etc.
• manufacturing companies
• contract design staff (internally and externally located)
• external engineering consultancies
• other similar national laboratories
Personal Skills and Attributes
• advanced inter-personal skills, particularly in communication; negotiating; networking and team building; motivation and problem-solving
• proven people management skills
• very high level of drive, enthusiasm and focus on the achievement of goals
• focused on delivering working, high quality solutions to meet the project objectives
• organized approach to complex problems
• strong ability to think creatively, to seek and accept change and continuous improvement.
For more information and to apply, click here.