Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) ISIS facility, a leading particle accelerator used to carry out research in the physical and life sciences, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
There are currently several opportunities for Mechanical Development Engineers to join the ISIS Design Division, on either a full time or part time basis, working closely with fellow engineers and scientists, specifying, designing, procuring and developing bespoke mechanical and electrical equipment and complex systems for the facility.
Person and Job Specification
Working within the ISIS Design Division, you will be responsible for taking top level development ideas and managing the complete development process for them through engineering concept, design, procurement, installation/commissioning, testing and final reporting.
ISIS uses a wide range of technologies, from RF cavities and magnetic components, through to materials used in extreme environments.
You will have a broad understanding of the engineering and would have specific in-depth knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
• RF cavities
• Magnetic elements (AC or DC)
• High Vacuum engineering
• Precision alignment
• Materials Engineering
• Precision motion
• Thermo-dynamics, heat transfer and fluid flow
Duties will include:
• to take development engineering ideas for complex mechanical engineering components or systems from concept through design, procurement, commissioning and testing and final reporting
• carry out appropriate engineering calculations and simulations to ensure the development brief is met
• prepare work instructions for staff carrying out development and test programmes
• prepare and present reports on designs and test programmes for peer and stakeholder review
• manage tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs, equipment and services
• ensure all development activities are carried out safely and to required codes of practice
• manage and coordinate multi-disciplinary staff carrying out programmes of development and testing.
For more information and to apply, click here.