ISIS is a world-leading center for research in the physical and life sciences at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford in the United Kingdom. Our suite of neutron and muon instruments gives unique insights into the properties of materials on the atomic scale. We support a national and international community of more than 3000 scientists for research into subjects ranging from clean energy and the environment, pharmaceuticals and health care, through to nanotechnology and materials engineering, catalysis and polymers, and on to fundamental studies of materials.
We are currently recruiting for an Ancillary Plant Operator within the Ancillary Plant section, which is part of the ISIS Accelerator Engineering Division, The post holder will be one of two plant operators which make up part of the Ancillary Plant section. This position covers all areas of the ISIS machine which is spread over a large site. This role has come about due to the addition of new plant and expansion of work areas.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities:
You will report directly to the ancillary plant operations manager within the Accelerator Engineering Group, and will be expected to undertake the following duties:
• Monitor daily the ancillary plant process water circuits, gas refrigeration and mobile cooling plant around the ISIS machine.
• Purchase various chemicals, bulk salt, dip slides & materials associated with duties.
• Analyses of water samples and recording the results.
• Undertake cooling tower cleaning as required.
• Maintenance of refrigeration air conditioning units.
• Use condition monitoring equipment on the installed rotating equipment.
Contacts and Communication
You should have :
• The ability to communicate effectively with all colleagues throughout ISIS Accelerator Division
• Good writing skills / record-keeping and PC literacy e.g. Windows/Office
Any other Relevant Information:
You would be expected to:
• Be willing to enter radiologically designated areas.
• Be willing to participate in/assist in out-of-hours breakdowns.
• Clean cooling towers and associated plant equipment.
• Clean and tidy plant rooms and workshop areas.
Personal Skills and Attributes:
You would be expected to have:
• Knowledge on ancillary plant equipment
• Basic engineering skills
• Full driving license
• Able to manage their own time
• Computer literate and able to use Microsoft office software
For more information and to apply, click here.