The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. Through combining world-class facilities including the Central Laser Facility, the ISIS pulsed neutron and muon source and RAL Space, with major international collaborations with organisations such as CERN, and some of the world’s most talented staff, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
The STFC Estates and Facilities Management department is responsible for the development of our three principal campuses; the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh.
About The Role
Provide visible and expert leadership in the Corporate Services Directorate as a member of the Corporate Services Management Board, specifically focussed on the professional Estates and FM functions including hard and soft facilities management, capital planning and capital programme management, to enable the delivery of corporate strategic objectives in support of STFC’s mission and values. Build a strong culture of service delivery through professionally capable staff and suppliers that meets and exceeds stakeholder expectations. Be accountable for maintaining a resilient, safe and affordable estate in accordance with best practice, and regulatory and legislative requirements (including provision of an annual assurance of compliance to the accounting officer).
- align all aspects of Estates and FM with STFC’s corporate vision, values, strategy, and culture and business plan
Demonstrate and model personal commitment to STFC’s vision, values and strategic objectives, promoting STFC’s achievements at every opportunity and in appropriate arenas
- represent STFC on cross-Council and government department groups, and other external groups (influencing favourable outcomes for STFC). Chair or contribute to internal STFC Groups as required
- work in close collaboration and maintaining highly productive relationships with the STFC’s Executive Board and STFC’s National Laboratory Directors and key staff, taking corporate responsibility for the management of STFC’s estate & FM operations and acting as trusted professional expert advisor in matters relating to them
- champion equality and diversity principles, ensuring that they are integrated into all aspects of our business.
Directorate Responsibilities – Cabinet
As a member of the Corporate Services Management Board, work in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Corporate Services and the other Heads in Corporate Services Directorate, to:
- take cabinet responsibility for the generic business of Corporate Services, ensuring forward strategic and resource planning, including robust financial management, contributing to the redefinition and maintenance of governance of Directorate functions
- champion and lead change, to be accountable for, own, model and implement Corporate Services Directorate’s vision and transformation agendas
- continuously improve infrastructure standards of service and technology in order to achieve STFC’s objectives and to drive synergies, culture change and new ways of working across Directorate departments, with particular focus on Estates & FM functions.
Directorate Responsibilities – Estates & FM-Specific
Working with other members of the Estates and FM management team
- Leadership: lead the further development, implementation, measurement and continuous improvement of strong and effective Estates and FM strategies, delivery models and best practice programmes for STFC.
- Stakeholder Management: act as the key strategic interface between Estates and FM and STFC’s senior stakeholders, including the leadership, operational management, science and staff groups, building effective partnerships and common approaches. Work to strengthen successful relationships with key external stakeholders and contacts to positively influence their support and decision making with regard to STFC and its objectives. Maintain an effective network of external FM contacts to support continuous improvement and benchmarking. Ensure a partnership approach with other Research Councils and relevant public and private sector organisations
- Service Delivery: develop a culture of service delivery putting internal “customers” at the heart of everything we do, providing strong operational focus on professional, timely and effective delivery
- Management/Team Development: build high performance management teams, developing leadership, management and professional capability at every level, ensuring effective succession planning
- Supplier Management: build strong partnering arrangements with suppliers to deliver s effective & timely service delivery aligned to STFC business requirements through the development of effective supplier and contract management capabilities within the team
- Strategic Development: provide high quality strategic-level input, focused strategic business planning and strong decision-making at the highest/senior levels in STFC. Leading the development and delivery of STFC’s Estates and FM strategies. Identifying, communicating and monitoring investment, cost, value and benefits realisation across the business
- Capital & Asset Management: act as executive programme director, accountable for the planning and efficient delivery of STFC’s capital programme and as project director for designated major capital developments. Manage and deliver the annual capital programme, ensuring all estates assets are captured on an asset register and an up to date survey of their condition exists, that the assets are maintained, replaced or developed in accordance with business aligned priorities and best practice, and that planned activities are captured and the required investment costed in a forward plan and programme (including dilapidation management). This includes all capital projects, enabling works, major maintenance works, department funded works, fire plan and strategy and health and safety works, within budget and timescales
- Performance Management: monitor, review and communicate Estates and FM performance against agreed scorecard measurements using external research and marketplace benchmarks to ensure the estate, assets and services comply with best practice and external developments and to ensure continuity and continuous improvement, providing clear performance management information to the CSD Management Board and 360° communicating of the value-add of services to STFC. This includes ensuring compliance against defined industry standards as appropriate and that improvements are service-led and fit within the strategic framework. Oversee all Estates and FM-related management information and reporting systems and their improvement
- Financial Management: maintain rigorous financial management of the Estates and FM functions, ensuring robust forward financial planning and modelling (resource and capital) against agreed and indicative budgets and potential funding scenarios over the short, medium and long term taking account of emerging and potential business requirements, and robust management of in-year financials, maintaining robust profiling and forecasting to achieve budget. The resource allocation involved is c. 135 staff and c. £20M+ (with additional capital allocations) and includes accountability for the Estates and Facilities Revenue and Capital Programme budgets
- Governance: ensure compliance and provide an annual statement to the accounting officer to that effect. Report on Estates and FM legal/audit/regulatory/planning requirements and best practice to deliver a well maintained environment and to manage departmental SHE, risk and contractual issues, complaints and enquiries, and public relations. Establish and run governance in Estates and FM, e.g. emergency planning, business continuity and governance frameworks
- Procurements: lead the management of estates and facilities procurement and contract negotiations, ensuring contracts are appropriately managed and supplier relationships are fostered to maintain resilience, specified service quality, value for money and delivery and to control expenditure. Build and maintain an effective interface with the UK Shared Business Services to ensure their activity aligns with STFC’s needs and objectives with regard to Estates and FM.
- take responsibility for the management of all other aspects of the Estates & FM Department
- contribute to the strategic development and maintenance of the Science and Innovation Campuses at RAL and Daresbury including the expansion and effective management of STFC’s tenant base
- take the lead role in the management of all strategic property transactions on behalf of STFC.
For more information and to apply, click here.