Computing is essential to the science that STFC supports. We would love to have a vacation student join our team this summer to help develop software used to support the day-to-day operations. We mainly develop tiered solutions using Java, C# and various web technologies. We have daily standups, code reviews, try-it-out days, and use Jenkins. Our placements tend to suit students that want to develop software in a team environment using agile. As part of a team you will be involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle, from requirements capture through modelling, coding, testing and deployment. This will give first-hand experience of developing a product from conception through to maintenance using agile techniques. You will also experience working in a DevOps environment. You will be involved in supporting and developing our enterprise SharePoint solutions using standard software engineering best practices.
Training will be provided as necessary. In addition to a full induction and “on the job" training, you will have the opportunity to network with other students and graduates. And if you enjoy working with us and impress us, you may even be sponsored in your final year(s) at university and offered a graduate position with us at the end of your degree.
As a starting point, we expect you to have:
- A strong academic background with very good module grades at university so far.
- A good understanding and some experience of programming in Java, C# or similar language.
We also expect you to be able to:
- Work with others on projects and solve problems of varying complexity together.
- Approach your work positively, with an open mind and be organized.
- Write and speak clearly in a way that is suitable for your audience.
- Take initiative and work effectively with limited supervision at times.
Benefits to student
- first-hand experience of developing a real product from conception through to maintenance for a real customer
- put into practice the things learned at university
- brand new skills and exposure to enterprise technologies perhaps not taught at university
- experience of Agile software development and DevOps in a real-world environment
- experience writing automated tests using industry-standard frameworks
- awareness of continuous integration (rarely taught at university)
- awareness of STFC/ISIS as an employer
Supervisor: Rachel Baust, firstname.lastname@example.org