You may be a scientist with a strong interest in communications who would like to further develop your skills and experience in producing publications and website within a science environment. Or you may be a digital communications, publishing or events professional with some science experience who wishes to gain further skills at a world-class science facility.
Working with ISIS scientists and users we expect you to take responsibility for ISIS’ publications and website. ISIS has an extensive website aimed at its user community, and there are opportunities to develop this, for example to provide on-line training materials. ISIS produces its own publications, such as its annual review, alongside STFC publications, and you would seek to develop these.
Reporting to the ISIS impact manager you will also proactively look for other opportunities to promote the facility, and you will form part of the ISIS communications team alongside a public engagement manager, communications students and facility scientists. You will have strong writing, editing and proof reading skills, and a desire to enhance your experience through developing communication channels with our user community and others in an accessible manner.
There will also be opportunities within the role to take on the management of visits and major events, ensuring these are well planned, managed and delivered in a consistent fashion.
You will also look for opportunities to promote ISIS at external events and represent ISIS at events organized by the STFC corporate team.
For appointment at the higher level:
With extensive experience in publishing, events or website management you will seek to define a strategy for delivering our key publications and taking editorial control of the newly migrated website. You will also oversee the project management of major scientific conferences, identifying new opportunities to promote ISIS science through events, publications and online.
List of Duties/Work Programme/Responsibilities
• maintain and develop the ISIS facility website for the ISIS user community
• monitor ISIS website usage, and engage with appropriate social media to enhance ISIS’ online presence
• coordinate regular publications for the ISIS user community and visitors
• work with other communications professionals within STFC to develop ISIS’ presence in publications and online
• support other ISIS communications activities as required
• help with the coordination of visits and other event.
To be appointed at the higher level - Band D
• develop a strategy for ISIS publications, taking account of the variety of ISIS stakeholders
• be responsible for production of key ISIS publications such as the annual review
• editorial control of the ISIS website, managing a team of content editors to ensure content is current, accurate and appropriate for the target audience
• project manage and deliver major scientific conferences for the facility, working with partners such as the Institute of Physics.
Contacts and Communication
Reporting to the ISIS impact manager this post will communicate extensively with scientists and engineers across ISIS, with external facility users and with the STFC communications team.
Personal Skills and Attributes
You will need to have excellent communications skills, demonstrated in a scientific environment. You will need some experience of web writing or publication production, event organization and social media in an organizational context.
You will need excellent writing, editing and proof reading skills. You will also need to be highly organised, enthusiastic, capable of taking projects from initial idea to finished product, and be able to work independently and as part of a team. You will need to be flexible, working on a diverse range of activities with competing time frames, able to manage your own time and delegate where necessary.
Any other relevant information
Some UK travel may be required.
For more information and to apply, click here.