Working within one of the groups of engineers that make up the ISIS Design Division, you will be responsible for delivering engineering solutions for scientific requirements within a project environment.
Duties will include:
- Full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one off components and larger, complex systems.
- Coordinating the activities of various different technical disciplines to achieve the required end goal.
- Project management (including scheduling, budgets, planning and reporting).
- Production of mechanical designs and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others.
- Presentation of designs for peer and stakeholder review.
- Managing both internal staff and external contract design and detailing effort.
- Managing tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs.
- Ensuring all engineering design and installation work is carried out safely and in accordance with STFC codes of practice
Contacts and Communication
The role requires excellent communication skills at many levels. The post holder will deal directly with the following internal stakeholders:
- Fellow Design Division Engineers (Mechanical & Electrical)
- Accelerator Physicists and Neutron Scientists
- Operations and installation staff
- Procurement and contracts staff
- Other specialist groups such as Safety, Civil Engineering, Building Services etc.
The post holder will deal with the following external stakeholders:
- Manufacturing companies
- Contract design staff (internally and externally located)
- External engineering consultancies
- Other similar national laboratories
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Advanced inter-personal skills, particularly in communication; negotiating; networking and team building; motivation and problem-solving.
- Proven people management skills.
- Very high level of drive, enthusiasm and focus on the achievement of goals.
- Focused on delivering working, high quality solutions to meet the project objectives.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Strong ability to think creatively, to seek and accept change and continuous improvement.
Salary: £38,533 - £45,664
Contract type: Open ended
Closing date: 7 December 2014.
To apply for this post, please use the 'Apply' link on the Top Careers website.