Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
The Project Engineering Group has a broad range of challenging projects within the experimental facilities that STFC operates and hosts including Diamond Light Source, ISIS, CERN, Central Laser Facility, Particle Physics Department (PPD) and RAL Space.
The Group is responsible for the project management, design, manufacture, procurement, assembly, installation, integration, and commissioning of complex mechanical systems in support of these national and international scientific research projects.
We require an experienced Mechanical Project Engineer, or Design Engineer with potential to progress, to make an immediate impact and complement the existing team of Project Engineers and Design Engineers currently working on these projects.
These roles will require you to work closely with in-house and external engineers and scientists to understand their requirements and transform their ideas into engineered solutions.
List of Duties/Work Programme/Responsibilities
To join us you will need to have experience of managing resources, presenting ideas to customers and be skilled in the writing of technical papers and reports. A degree in mechanical engineering (or equivalent), and experience in the specification and procurement of engineering systems is essential.
Duties of the role include:
- take a lead role in the delivery of a range of projects
- manage projects through their complete life cycle by producing and monitoring project and resource plans, and associated budgets
- organise technical meetings/reviews and maintain associated documentation to meet the requirements of the group Quality Management System
- produce creative and innovative designs and concepts through the use of 2D & 3D CAD systems
- produce or supervise the use of FEA analyses/calculations to validate designs
- produce designs, drawings and specifications to enable manufacture/procurement of manufactured items and bought out components.
Contacts and Communication
Liaison with customers and staff at all levels including engineers, scientists and technicians.
For more information and to apply, click here.