ISIS, the world leading pulsed neutron and muon source, needs Professional Engineers to maintain and enhance its facility. Graduate Mechatronic Engineers will have a key role in the design and support of the increasing range of motion controlled equipment used across ISIS. The work will couple design and analysis with project engineering skills.
The ISIS Design Division provides professional engineering across the complete ISIS Neutron Science facility from the accelerator, targets, neutron beam-lines and specialist user equipment. The diverse nature of the facility is mirrored in its variety of mechanical systems: state-of-the-art precision mechanisms and motion systems, high power magnets, cryogenic and vacuum systems, very high pressure and extreme temperature sample environment systems. All of these can encompass novel uses of both established and emerging engineering materials and manufacturing techniques.
We are looking for aspiring engineers who are inquisitive and want to solve complex and interesting engineering problems.
Based at The Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire, Graduate Mechatronic engineers have a key role and the positions provide a unique opportunity for a wide variety of engineering experiences coupled with excellent training and personal development leading to becoming a Chartered Engineer.
The ISIS neutron instruments are making use of an increasing quantity and increasing complexity of motion control equipment. The motion control team is looking to increase its capability. You will make extensive use of modern engineering tools including CAD and various FEA packages as well as traditional hand calculations to design and specify complex equipment, having extracted the essential needs from the end users. You will oversee procurement, testing and installation of equipment.
We are looking for people who understand the mechanical elements of design along with selection of appropriate components such as motors, encoders and switches. You will touch all aspects and are likely to do some programming for testing.
List of Duties / Work Programme / Responsibilities
• Produce designs and concepts through the use of 2D & 3D CAD systems.
• Procure manufactured items and bought out components.
• Work with and understand the requirements of projects set by the customer.
• Manage project workload to ensure targets are met.
• Produce calculations to validate designs.
• Present work both in writing and verbally to a wide range of audiences.
Contacts and Communication
• Will work with a wide range of fellow engineers across disciplines on ISIS equipment – mechanical, electrical, electronic, motion control, etc.
• Will work with a variety of scientists.
• Liaison with technicians.
• Other staff throughout STFC.
Personal Skills and Attributes
• Must be highly motivated, innovative and inquisitive.
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to read and understand technical information.
• Capable of rapid development of technical and non-technical skills.
• Ability to communicate well both technically and non-technically.
• Ability to produce good written work and reports.
• Shows an interest in the world outside of engineering.
• Shows an appreciation of engineering in the wider context of society
For more information and to apply, click here.