The outline technical design of polREF has been developed to optimise the possibilities for PNR on the ISIS second target station in the following key areas:
- Enhanced Flux at the sample position
- Maximise use of the increased wavelength band
- Minimise the noise floor on the instrument through design and shielding
- Secondary shutter to reduce access time
- Flexible neutron polarisation control
- Optimised sample environment
polREF will have flexible, three-directional polarisation control, allowing access to all elements of the polarisation matrix over a wavelength range from 1–15 Å. Accurate three-dimensional control of applied magnetic fields at the sample position will be achieved with a 0.5 Tesla magnet, and in-situ magneto-optic Kerr microscopy will give complementary information on the magnetic configuration. A 10 Tesla superconducting magnet will be provided for measurements of rare earth magnetism and superconductivity. polREF will have a 23 m primary flight path and view the grooved solid methane moderator.