The Central Laser Facility (CLF) is a world-class centre for research in physical and life sciences, specialising in designing, building and operating large scale scientific lasers. We are about to start building a new, world-leading scientific laser system and we are looking for 2 Senior Mechanical Technicians (1 x permanent and 1 x fixed term 2 years) to join our team of talented technicians.
You will collaborate with other senior technicians to carry‑out complex assembly and testing of a cryogenic pressure system and precision machines.
Main duties include
• commissioning, development, and maintenance of 10-8mbar vacuum systems
• construction, testing and commissioning of gas systems up to 200bar
• construction, testing and commissioning of liquid nitrogen cryogenic systems
• construction, testing and commissioning of complex motorised and manual optics systems
• researching, specifying, sourcing, manufacturing and constructing parts & systems as required.
Contacts and Communication
You will be expected to work in close collaboration with the existing engineering and scientific staff.
Personal Skills and Attributes
The role requires a solid practical mechanical engineering background. Training will be given on vacuum, gas and cryogenics if required. You will be self‑motivated, a clear communicator and able to embrace change as the R&D requirements evolve. You should work well in a team but be able to operate independently. A minimum of a HND in mechanical engineering would be expected but relevant equivalent experience would be considered.
Any other Relevant Information
You will have to wear personal protection equipment when carrying out a wide range of engineering tasks.
For more information and to apply, click here.