Computing is critical to the operation of ISIS and the experiments run here. Specialist hardware and software is developed and supported for the community by various ISIS groups including but not limited to:
We employ computing professionals across many different disciplines, including software developers, software engineers, web developers, data scientists, software scientists, research software engineers, computational scientists, devops engineers, infrastructure & network technicians and engineers, desktop support, product and project management. We also provide work experience placements and regularly train students as part of our sandwich student, graduate, and apprentice schemes.
The calibre and expertise of our staff, and our project and quality management expertise, enables us to deliver unique and advanced computing projects. Our staff are here to provide the tools to push the boundaries of science – and to explore ways to translate new technologies into practical applications.
Join us as a computing professional and you will play a key role in building and running our world-leading facility. You will get to create software and technologies that make groundbreaking research possible. Your expertise could even help to inspire new products and equipment that change lives in the UK and around the world.
Whether you are beginning or furthering your career, you will be in the right place to test your skills and build your technical know-how on complex, high profile projects. There are also opportunities to develop as a manager and leader.
can be found on STFC's careers pages but here are the reasons we think you'll like
Top 10 reasons to work with us:
- we hire great people (“friendly, smart, hard workers with a genuine desire to support each other")
- you'll have a sense of ownership and take a high level of responsibility from day one
- we recognise the skills and experience you bring
- make a difference, and have a great time
- flexibility to work in the office or remotely
- you'll work on new and unique projects
- over 40 days holiday per year (30 annual leave + 10 bank holidays)
- flexible daily hours and the support you need to enjoy your work and perform at your best
- a countryside campus close to the buzzing tech scene in Oxford
- not just office buildings (huge laboratories come as standard).
- Mo Kurdi - Sandwich student who returned as graduate in Systems Operations Group
- Liam Panchaud - Sandwich student working as a control software engineer in Experiment Control Group
- Tom Griffin - Sandwich student in ISIS who is now director of STFC's Scientific Computing Department
- Being a student at ISIS - a range of comments from previous sandwich students working in computing at ISIS