The aim of the Neutron and Muon Instrumentation Development Group (NMIDG) is to act as a support for scientists and technology groups in the development of new, state of the art instrumentation at ISIS. The group will advise, give training and help scientists with instrument simulations and design as well as conducting technical reviews of new instrumentation prior to approval for construction.
Modern neutron and muon instrumentation design requires extensive theoretical and practical knowledge and an awareness of state of the art technologies. The group will act as a link to advanced instrumentation teams at other facilities and software providers in order to continually enhance ISIS's capabilities in relevant areas. To improve peoples instrumentation knowledge and capabilities training is essential and so NMIDG will also organise internal and external meetings and workshops in areas such as Monte Carlo simulation.
In addition, the group will work to develop new instrumentation concepts and ideas through internal and external collaborations. The group will support the development of next generation Monte Carlo simulation packages and provide a framework for the benchmarking and curation of instrument simulations for future reference.
The polarisation team is part of NMIDG and will continue to push for the exploitation and enhancement of neutron polarisation at ISIS.
- To facilitate and champion the development of the next generation of ISIS instrumentation being planned through the Endeavour project and ISIS-II
- To enable objective reviews of instrument projects.
- To develop and maintain the ISIS polarised 3He program.
- To organise instrument design training workshops to enable the ISIS science groups to deliver Endeavour.
- To develop and maintain a reference website for ISIS Monte Carlo simulation.
- To develop new and novel instrumentation
It can be difficult getting started with instrument simulations. Below are a list of useful links which should give you all the info and files needed to get started using McStas. If you get stuck then we are always here to help